Michigan State University Federal Credit Union
Travel Accident Insurance Description of Coverage
Principal Sum(s) Enrolled:
Visa Debit Card: Benefit Amount $250,000
Platinum Visa: Benefit Amount $1,000,000
Platinum Plus Visa: Benefit Amount $1,000,000
THIS IS AN ACCIDENTAL DEATH AND DISMEMBERMENT ONLY POLICY AND DOES NOT PAY BENEFITS FOR LOSS FROM SICKNESS
This Description of Coverage is provided to eligible cardholders, and replaces any and all Descriptions of Coverage previously issued to the insured with respect to insurance described herein.
Eligibility and Period of Coverage
You and your dependents become covered automatically when the entire Common Carrier fare is charged to your covered card account (“Covered Persons”). It is not necessary to notify the Financial Institution, the Insurance Company or Plan Administrator when tickets are purchased. Coverage ends when the policy is terminated or on the date your covered card terminates or ceases to be in good standing, whichever occurs first.
Subject to the terms and conditions, if a Covered Person’s accidental bodily injury occurs while on a Covered Trip and results in any of the following Losses within one year after the date of the accident, the Insurance Company will pay the following percentage of the Principal Sum for accidental Loss of:
Both hands or both feet :100%
Sight of both eyes:100%
One hand and one foot:100%
Speech and hearing: 100%
One hand or one foot and the sight of one eye: 100%
One hand or one foot: 50%
Sight of one eye: 50%
Speech or hearing: 50%
Thumb & index finger on the same hand: 25%
In no event will multiple charge cards obligate the Insurance Company in excess of the stated benefit for any one Loss sustained by a Covered Person as a result of any one accident. The maximum amount payable for all losses due to the same accident is the Principal Sum.
Loss means actual severance through or above the wrist or ankle joints with regard to hands and feet; entire and irrevocable Loss of sight, speech or hearing; actual severance through or above the metacarpophalangeal joints with regard to thumb and index fingers. The life benefit provides coverage in the event of a Covered Person’s death. If a Covered Person’s body has not been found within one year of disappearance, stranding, sinking, or wreckage of any Common Carrier in which the Covered Person was covered as a passenger, then it shall be presumed, subject to all other provisions and conditions of this coverage, the Covered Person suffered Loss of life.
Injury means bodily injury resulting directly and independently of all other causes from an accident which occurs while the Covered Person is covered under this policy.
Covered Trip means a trip (a) while Covered Person is riding on a Common Carrier as a passenger and not as a pilot, operator or crew member, and (b) charged to your covered card, and (c) that begins and ends at the places designated on the ticket purchased for the trip. Covered Trip will also include travel on a Common Carrier (excluding aircraft), directly to, from or at any Common Carrier terminal, which travel immediately precedes departure to or follows arrival at the designation designated on the ticket purchased for the Covered Trip.
Common Carrier means any scheduled airline, land or water conveyance licensed for transportation of passengers for hire. Common Carrier does not include a conveyance operated for sport, recreation, and/or sightseeing activities or for any travel in any aircraft device for aerial navigation except as expressly provided in the policy.
Exclusion: No payment will be made for any Loss that occurs in connection with, or is the result of: (a) suicide, attempted suicide or intentionally self-inflicting injury; (b) any sickness or disease; (c) travel or flight on any kind of aircraft or Common Carrier except as a fare-paying passenger in an aircraft or on a Common Carrier operated by a regular schedule for passenger service over an established route; or (d) war or act of war, whether declared or undeclared.
Beneficiary: Benefit of Loss of life is payable to your estate, or to the beneficiary designated in writing by you. All other benefits are payable to you.
Notice of Claim: Written Notice of claim, including your name and policy number VTA00015 should be mailed to the Plan Administrator within 20 days of a covered Loss or as soon as reasonably possible. The Plan Administrator will send the claimant forms for filing proof of Loss.
The Cost: This travel insurance is purchased for you by your Financial Institution.
Description of Coverage: This description of coverage details material facts about a Travel Accident Insurance Policy which has been established for you and is underwritten by Virginia Surety Company, Inc. Please read this description carefully. All provisions of the plan are in the master policy, VTA00015, issued to the Visa USA Trust, Chicago, IL which is effective 4/1/03. Any difference between the policy and this description will be settled according to the provisions of the policy.
Questions: Answers to specific questions can be obtained by writing to the Plan Administrator:
CBSI Enhancement Services
550 Mamaroneck Avenue
Harrison, NY 10528
Virginia Surety Company, Inc.
1000 N. Milwaukee Avenue
Glenview, IL 60025
General Program Provisions, Travel Accident Insurance:
Travel Accident Insurance is provided under a master policy of insurance issued by Virginia Surety Company, Inc. (herein referred to as “the Company”). We reserve the right to change the benefits and features of all these programs.
Visa USA or the Company can cancel or choose not to renew the insurance coverages for all insureds. If this happens, your Financial Institution will notify the Cardholder at least 30 days in advance of the expiration of the policy. Such notices need not be given if substantially similar replacement coverage takes effect without interruption and is provided by the same insurer. Insurance benefits will still apply to Covered Trips commenced prior to the date of such cancellation or non-renewal, provided all other terms and conditions of coverage are met. Travel Accident Insurance does not apply if your Card privileges have been suspended or cancelled. However, Insurance benefits will still apply to Covered Trips commenced prior to the date that your account is suspended or cancelled provided all other terms and conditions of coverage are met.
Coverage will be void if, at any time, the Cardholder has concealed or misrepresented any material fact or circumstance concerning the coverage or the subject thereof of the Cardholder’s interest herein, or in the case of any fraud or false swearing by the Insured relating thereto. No person or entity other than the Cardholder shall have any legal or equitable right, remedy, or claim for insurance proceeds and/or damages under or arising out of this coverage.
No action at law or in equity shall be brought to recover on this coverage prior to the expiration of 60 days after proof of Loss has been furnished in accordance with the requirements of this Description of Coverage.
The Company, at its expense, has the right to have you examined, as often as reasonably necessary while a claim is pending. The Company may also have an autopsy made unless prohibited by law.
MSU Federal Credit Union Visa Debit Card Agreement
Undersigned has a Michigan State University Federal Credit Union (MSUFCU) checking (draft) account. MSUFCU issues Visa Debit Cards (herein called "Cards") which can be used to make payments and purchases and to get cash advances in much the same way as a Visa Credit Card is used. Undersigned hereby request(s) MSUFCU to issue Card(s) to undersigned. Undersigned agree(s) to the following terms and conditions.
When "I," "me," "my," or "mine" is used herein, it means the same as "we," "us," "our," or "ours" if this agreement is signed by two or more persons.
- The checking account mentioned above is governed by an account agreement I have signed. As to "electronic fund transfers" affecting the account, it is further governed by a disclosure of terms and conditions related to such transfers given to me by MSUFCU. This agreement sets out further terms and conditions for that account with respect to use of the Card(s).
- The Card(s) will be produced with name(s) as I direct. I agree that the person whose name is printed on a Card will immediately sign the Card (in the space provided on the back) and the signature will be in the same form as printed on the Card. I will not permit any other person to use the Card(s). If I do allow any other person to use the Card(s), I will be responsible for all use of the Card(s) by the other person until I get the Card(s) back, whether or not I have authorized that use or have previously notified MSUFCU that I will not be responsible for such use.
- MSUFCU can cancel this agreement at any time and cancel my privilege to use the Card(s). The Card(s) are the property of MSUFCU and I will return them upon its request.
- Your card is valid until the expiration date on the front of the Card or until the Card has been inactive for 18 consecutive months at which time the Card will automatically expire. After the Card has expired, it is no longer valid, you will not be able to use the card and all transactions will be declined. You will automatically be issued a new Card 7-10 business days prior to its expirations date, unless the Card is otherwise terminated. You agree to notify us of any change in address for Card reissuance, disclosure and other contact purposes.
- You agree we and our agents may contact you by telephone or wireless device at any telephone number associated with your account, including wireless telephone numbers (i.e. cell phone numbers), in order to service your account, provide you fraudulent activity alerts, or collect any amounts owed to us, excluding any contacts for telemarketing purposes prescribed by law. You further agree methods of contact may include, but not limited to the use of text messages, pre-recorded or artificial voice messages, and/or use of an automatic dialing service. Calls and messages may incur access fees from your cellular provider. You understand that you are not required to provide consent as a condition to receiving products or services and you may revoke your consent or change the telephone number provided by contacting us at 517-333-2424 or 800-847-2383, www.msufcu.org, or visit any MSUFCU branch.
- VAU is an account updating service in which your card is automatically enrolled. When your card(s) expire, are lost or stolen and new cards are issued, the service may update relevant card data (card numbers, CVV and expiration dates) to appropriate merchants who participate in an effort to facilitate uninterrupted processing of your recurring charges. This service provides updates to our Visa database only. The database is accessed only by those qualified merchants seeking your account information after you have requested they process a recurring payment or payments. You understand that neither VISA nor MSUFCU can guarantee that your account updates will be communicated to merchants prior to your next statement date. This service is provided as a free benefit to you. If at any time you wish to opt-out of the VAU service or if you have any questions, please contact us 517-333-2424 or 800-847-2383, www.msufcu.org, or visit any MSUFCU branch.
- My use of the Card(s) to make payments, to purchase merchandise or services from, or obtain cash advances from any person or firm which honors such Card(s) is my authorization to MSUFCU to withdraw sufficient funds from my checking account to pay Visa sales drafts or cash advance drafts which I sign when using the Card(s). MSUFCU will not honor requests to stop payment on a sales draft I sign when using the Card(s). If funds in my checking account are not sufficient to pay all items presented for payment, MSUFCU may pay Card drafts I have signed and my other Card transactions first. Transactions made by use of the Card(s) shall be paid from the checking account if funds are available; otherwise, they will be paid from my other accounts in MSUFCU or from my line-of-credit loan or Visa Credit Card, as I have previously authorized. If I elect to be notified of an overdraft transfer by a mailed paper notice, I agree to pay a $5 fee whenever it is necessary to transfer funds from either my share, savings, or loan account(s) to pay a sales draft or cash advance. If I do not require a mailed paper notice at the time the overdraft occurs, or I elect to receive the notification electronically at the primary email address on file, the transfer will be listed on my monthly statement and no fee will be charged. If MSUFCU pays any Card transaction when no funds from any of these sources are available, I agree to repay such amounts to MSUFCU immediately and to pay a processing fee (for each non-sufficient fund item) to be set by MSUFCU and subject to change.
If I continue to use the Card(s) when funds are not available, my checking account may be closed and I will promptly surrender my Card(s) to MSUFCU. I further understand that even after my account is closed, I will still be charged a processing fee per item as long as items are presented for payment when funds are not available.
I will not make or permit to be made any illegal transactions on my account through use of a Card(s), a check, or in any other manner. MSUFCU may deny authorization for any internet gambling transaction.
- MSUFCU has no liability to me if a person or firm to whom I present the Card(s) refuses to honor the Card(s) or retains the Card(s), even if at such time there were sufficient funds in my account to cover the amount of the transaction I wanted to make.
- Merchants and others who honor the Card(s) may give credits for returns or adjustments. Once notified by the merchant, MSUFCU will credit the amount thereof to my checking account.
- International Transactions—When I use my Visa Debit Card(s) for international transactions, a fee will be assessed. I agree to pay a 1.00% International Transaction Fee for ATM and Point-Of-Sale (i.e., PIN-based) transactions and a 3.00% International Transaction Fee for all other international transactions and cash advances. The fee will be assessed on international transactions if a currency conversion does take place or if the transaction is processed in U.S. dollars.
When I use my Visa Debit Card(s) at a merchant that settles in, or at an ATM that dispenses, currency other than U.S. dollars, the charge will be converted into the U.S. dollar amount. The currency conversion rate used to determine the transaction amount in U.S. dollars is either a wholesale market rate or the government mandated rate in effect the day before the processing date. The conversion rate in effect on the processing date may differ from the rate in effect on the transaction date or posting date. The International Transaction Fee will be calculated after the transaction has been converted to U.S. dollars.
- The periodic statement for my checking account will reflect Card transactions I make, but sales or cash advance drafts for those transactions cannot be returned with the statement. I will retain the copies of such drafts that were furnished at the time of the transaction and use them to verify the accuracy of the statement. Photocopies of such drafts will be furnished on request at a reasonable charge if such request is made within 120 days of the date the transaction posted to my checking account.
- If I learn or believe that the Card(s) has been lost or stolen or has been used or may be used by some other person without my permission, I will immediately phone MSUFCU at 517-333-2424 or 800-678-4968.
When MSUFCU is closed, I will call 888-393-1172 or write MSUFCU at:
Michigan State University Federal Credit Union
Attention: Visa Department
PO Box 1067
East Lansing, MI 48826-1067
- Special Unauthorized Use Liability Rule for Visa Debit Card—Unless I have been negligent or have engaged in fraud, I will not be liable for any unauthorized transactions posted to my lost or stolen Visa Debit Card. This additional limit on liability does not apply to ATM transactions, to transactions using your PIN which are not processed by Visa, or to commercial cards.
- Even though the sales or cash advance drafts that I may sign when using the Card(s) may contain different terms, the terms of my existing agreements with MSUFCU relating to my checking account, as expanded by this agreement, govern all Card transactions I make.
- MSUFCU may amend this agreement from time to time by giving me advance written notice thereof sent first class mail to the address shown on the most recent statement for my checking account, or to the primary email address on file if electronic account notices have been selected, which notice shall be effective when mailed. The notice will advise me of the extent, if any, to which such amendment will apply to my then existing obligations to MSUFCU.
- In the event any use of my Card(s) constitutes an "electronic fund transfer," the terms and conditions of the disclosure relating to such transfers furnished to me by MSUFCU will govern as to such transaction, regardless of this agreement. My use of the Card(s) in such manner is my authorization to MSUFCU to withdraw sufficient funds from my checking account to cover such transactions, even though no signed sales draft or cash advance draft is presented to MSUFCU for the transaction.
- By activating and using the Card(s), I agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement.